LSPHCB FLAGS-OFF INTEGRATED MEASLES VACCINATION CAMPAIGN IN LAGOS.
Lagos State Government through Lagos State Primary Health Care Board (LSPHCB) has concluded all arrangements to vaccinate 5million children and adult Lagosian within a period of three weeks. This disclosure was made by the Permanent Secretary, Lagos State Primary Health Care Board, Dr. Ibrahim Akinwunmi Mustafa, on Thursday, during the flag-off ceremony of the year 2022 integrated measles vaccination campaign.
According to Dr. Mustafa “with today’s flag off ceremony of the integrated measles vaccination campaign that will start tomorrow Friday 17th of June 2022, the campaign will be conducted in all 57 LGAs/LCDAs in Lagos State in 2 streams till 4th of July, 2022.”
He added that during this vaccination campaign, teams across the LSPHCB designated health facilities and special Posts will be providing the measles vaccination to children aged 9 -59 months, Vitamin A Supplements for children aged 6 – 59 months, Oral polio vaccines to children from birth to 59 months, while COVID-19 vaccine will be provided to adults from 18years and above.
The flag-off campaign which held at Kosofe Local Government Secretariat, had the wife of Lagos State Governor, Dr. Ibijoke Claudiana Sanwo-Olu as the special guest of the occasion. While addressing the mothers, she stressed the need to work together with parents and guardians to curtail the measles virus which is a contagious and vaccine preventable disease of public health importance that usually affect children below 5 years.
Dr. Sanwo-Olu stated that ” the measles vaccine reduces mortality in children by over 80% which makes it a very crucial public health intervention, however only 85% of children who received the first dose of the measles vaccine may be protected, there by bringing about the clear need to revaccinate and protect the remaining unprotected 15% of children”.
Routine immunization services with other vaccines will also be made available for all children from aged zero to 23 months during the integrated measles vaccination campaign 2022.
He emphasized that all the vaccines are safe and effective. She enjoined all the care givers, parents and guardians to take their children to all LSPHCB designated health facilities for immediate vaccination, while he admonished the adults who are yet to receive the COVID-19 vaccine to also visit the LSPHCB facilities for covid 19 vaccination.
Dr. Mustafa appreciated all the development partners that helped the LSPHCB to make integrated measles campaign 2022 possible , such as NPHCDA, WHO, UNICEF, CHAI, AFFENET, Rotary Club International, LION Club and host of others.