Medical Laboratory Services
The Department came into existence 2014 at the peak of Ebola outbreak when the DMLS got seconded at the instance of then Permanent Secretary, Dr Olukayode Oguntimehin to coordinate and direct the affairs of the medical laboratory services. The directorate is saddled with monitoring and mentoring of Medical Laboratory Scientists and Medical Laboratory technicians. It also monitors and evaluate as well as laboratory tests and reagents ensure quality assured reagents.
The vision of Medical Laboratory services (LSPHCB) is to provide all Lagosians with an appropriate cost effective and high quality assured Laboratory service as a functional component of reliable State Health Care delivery system.
FUNCTIONS OF DEPARTMENT
- To oversee the practice of Medical Laboratory services using good clinical Laboratory Practice in all the laboratories.
- To ensure timely and prompt routine and desired investigations are done in PHCs.
- To perform Quality Assurance on all the processes (pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical).
- To monitor the activities of Medical Laboratory in PHCs by regular visitations, mentoring and onsite training.
- To liaise with other departments and professional bodies towards clients/patients satisfaction.
- Appraisal and competency assessment of personnel and equipment towards Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and Laboratory House Keeping.
- To coordinate, check and validate equipment and reagents in sustaining Laboratory Reagent Revolving Fund.
- To provide linkage with secondary facilities for tests/investigations not done in PHCCs.
- To coordinate monthly meetings of the LGA Medical Laboratory Scientists for effective oversight functions and step down trainings.
- To have bimonthly meeting with Heads of Laboratory in 57LG/LCDAs and Regional Medical Laboratory Meeting with focal Laboratory Representatives across the Primary Health Centers this is a rally point for Contract and Permanent Laboratory Personnel in the State.
- To disseminate information to laboratory personnel from time to ensure conducive working environment.
- To ensure a good relationship with MOHs, Nurses, Community Health Officers, Pharmacy Personnel, Environmentalist and all other health workers.
- To perform other duties as assigned/directed by the Permanent Secretary.