Medical Services and Disease Control
The Directorate of Medical Services and Disease Control (DMS&DC) is one of the directorates stipulated in the health sector reform law with the responsibility of:
- Overseeing medical services offered at the Primary Health Care (PHC) centres as well as the quality of service delivered
- Review of service delivery protocols
- Provide oversight on disease control and surveillance at the primary health care level
- Develop and implement standards of care for service delivery improvements
- Oversee recommendations for medical staff deployment, training and appraisal
- Collaboration with State Ministry of Health (SMoH), LGA and implementing partners on program implementation
- Capacity building of health care workers and supportive supervision to ensure effective accessible and qualitative PHC service.
- Coordinates the management and implementation of immunisation services and activities in the State
- Responsible for the Primary Health Care System strengthening of facility-based and community-based MCH Nutrition related activities.
- Implementation of the SOML P4R activities to strengthen the Primary Health Care System.
- Coordinate and strengthen first responder intervention strategies and improve disease notification procedures at the Primary Health Care Level.
- Facilitate, initiate and strengthen emergency response and referral services at the Primary Health Level. Also, improve collaboration on the linkage system with the secondary level of care.
- Review and approve research programs centres on the PHC system that will provide evidence-based reports on services analysis and improvement strategies.
- Increase awareness access and utilisation of RH and FP commodities and services through PHC facilities and programs.
- Create awareness on DSVRT and provide medical assistance as required for survivors working in collaboration with relevant stakeholders to develop a robust case management system.
- Promote healthy adolescent health behaviour for informed decision making and across to friendly focused youth health services
- Management and oversight on all Laboratory activities personnel and service deliverables in the PHC centres
- Improve institutionalise and strengthen Quality of care/facility assessment improvement and at the Primary Health Care level.
- Institutionalise the Service Charter Initiative at the Primary Health Care level for improved client satisfaction with the provision of health services
- Supervision of programs coordinated by the Medical Officers of Health at the LG/LCDA Level
- Collation of report of monthly activities on PHC activities and management
- Coordinate monthly meetings of the Medical Officers of Health
- Institute investigation of complaints and enquiries from the community level on PHC services and facilities