The primary purpose of the Directorate is to plan, organise, develop and direct the overall operation of the Nursing Services Department to ensure that the highest degree of quality care is maintained at all times. The strategic goals of the Directorate in the Primary Health Care Board is to work harmoniously with other members of the health team to reduce maternal, infant and child mortality and morbidity rate in the State by 80% and improvement of nursing care through education, monitoring and supervision. The Directorate is supported by four (4) Committees saddled with the responsibility of monitoring, updating and checkmating nurses within the Local Government and also to enhance the quality of services to the clients/patients in the PHCs. These Committees are:
- Monitoring and Supervision
The Apex Nurses head each of the above Committee in the 57 LGAs/LCDAs in the State and supervised by the PHCB Head of Nursing Administration, Mrs Ayeni.
The responsibilities and functions of the Directorate of Nursing Services are as follows:
- Develop a method of co-ordination of Nursing Services with other Patient Services to ensure the continuity of the patients’ total regimen.
- Develop and implement a nursing services organisation structure
- Make reports and recommendations to the Permanent Secretary as required concerning the operations of the Nursing Services Directorate.
- Determine staffing/workforce needs of the Nursing Directorate necessary to meet the total nursing needs of the clients/patients in the facilities.
- Develop, implement and maintain an ongoing quality assurance programme for the Nursing Services Directorate.
- Monitor the activity of Nurses with Local Government periodically to ensure proper nursing service delivery to clients/patients,
- Monitor absenteeism to ensure that an adequate number of Nursing care Personnel are on duty at all times
- Develop, implement and maintain an effective orientation program that explains the new employees’ job/position and responsibilities in the Local Government.
- Assign a sufficient number of licensed, registered Nurses to each LGA/LCDA to ensure that routine care is provided to meet daily Nursing care needs of the clients.
- Develop and present to the Administration and Human Resource
- Department of PHCB, the implementation of in- house service training programs that relate to Nursing Services Directorate